Head of Product
Beacons is a link-in-bio website builder for creators. The company’s mobile website builder offers extensive customization options and supports multi-SKU creators through donations, e-commerce, affiliate marketing, and more. Founded in 2019, Beacons is used by hundreds of thousands of creators on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and other social platforms.
The Market — content creators are the businesses of the future, and Beacons is building the software tools to help them succeed
The Mission — we live in a time where, more than ever, an individual can work at the intersection of what they’re good at and what they’re passionate about. Content creators are at the forefront of this paradigm shift, and Beacons is helping push this frontier
The Strategy — to succeed in their mission to help content creators, Beacons needs to build an all-in-one solution to help one-person businesses with all aspects of their business. To do this, they will leverage both AI and a shared data layer
The Team — Beacons is the best team to build this because they have both the expertise from talking to so many creators and the technical product + data background
The Growth — Beacons get 98% of their accounts for free from their Link in Bio product/wedge
In May of 2022, Beacons raised a $34M Series A at a $123M valuation. Investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Li Jin’s Atelier Ventures, The Chainsmokers’ Mantis Fund, Night Ventures, & Crush Music. They have 22 months of runway & do not currently have plans for fundraising but are starting to think 2nd half of 2024
There are 200M content creators world-wide. Beacons offers the first all-in-one platform that captures all aspects of a content creator’s business.
Beacons has a suite of products that each have a unique ICP:
- Link in bio - up & coming content creators on Instagram & Tiktok
- Email marketing - professional content creators (musicians, actors, business, food, health, wellness, career, finance, etc.) building an email list and sending newsletters
- Store - a subset of email marketing content creators who also create digital products (guides, templates, courses, coaching, e-books, etc.)
- Media kit - content creators who manage brand deals, primarily in the health, fitness, wellness, beauty, fashion, gaming verticals - Manager - for agents or agencies who manage content creators
Stan, Linktree, Gumroad, ConvertKit, Snipfeed, Komi, Hoobe, Mailchimp, Pillar, CreatorIQ
- All-in-one platform
- Fast product building & shipping as a result of having a strong product & data team
- Shared data/intelligence layer for all our product offering
- Ease of use
- Link in bio customization and functionality, most of which are offered for free (counterpositioning several of our competitors)
- Large user base of 3.6 million
Beacons is a freemium product. They sell subscriptions to premium versions of their products. They are currently at $1.7M ARR with a goal of getting to $5M ARR by summer 2024. August 2023 was their fastest revenue growth in 13 months.
NRR & ARR are their North Stars for metrics.
There are 3.6M Beacons creator accounts 50k of which re “Big” or “Active” creators. “Big” is defined by creators who have significant followings on social media & “Active” is defined by having consistent traffic to their Link in bio page.
Flagship creators include wongfu, the Chainsmokers, Chipmunks of TikTok, Elena Shinohara, & Scholarshipguru.
Link in bio is the the main revenue driver & has PMF. The rest of the products are a combo of post-PMF & pre-PMF:
- Link in bio - 9/10 PMF; the product grows itself every single day and has helped Beacons establish their brand
- Email marketing - 7/10; the product is competitive especially with it’s pricing
- Store - 5.5/10; the product is good enough for most users but lacks some core features
- Media kit - 8/10; the product is good, but the market isn’t big
- Getting to feature parity with their store product: courses, memberships.
- Deeper integrations between their different products. Primarily store and email and Link in bio.
- A stronger data layer in the form of a CDP
- AI to help the user reach value faster and realize new value (e.g. content generation, automatically setting up their Link in bio, email, and products) - an AI assistant ultimately for creators
The Head of Product will lead the strategic direction of the Product & Design org:
- Ownership of the product roadmap with goal of building a multi-product platform with PMF
- Effectively manage the team of 4 PMs, the Head of Design & 2nd line leader to his 2 direct reports
- Work effectively with the rest of the executive team to advocate & align on the best vision for Beacon’s products
- Become a subject matter expert in the creator space through research & consistent conversations with existing customers